Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Anne of Green Gables, C.S., and Jacques...

Believe it or not, I never read Anne of Green Gables (304 pages, L.M. Montgomery) growing up, so I decided to finally check it out from the library and read it with the kids.  It was grand!  Some things we loved...

We loved how Anne said "Marilla" all the time, how dramatic she was, and how she always overcame trials with a new outlook on life.

"Oh, Marilla, you look so elegant!"
"This is the most tragical thing that has ever happen to me."
"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?"

We also liked how first and last names were used in speaking, Ruby Gillis, Gilbert Blyth, Josie Pye, Moody Spurgeon, and how wonderful the names sounded when we read them aloud.

We fell in love with Anne, of Green Gables, and will always cherish this book.

"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting." 

Gabriella finished Mossflower (376 pages), Brian Jacques.  It was slow going at first, but then she flew through it in a week or so.  Marcus finished Mattimeo (432 pages), Brian Jacques and is onto the next book in the Redwall series.  Marcus is obsessed with The Redwall Cookbook (104 pages), Jacques, and is constantly reading recipes to me.  "Mama, do you think I would like Mole's Favourite Deeper 'n' Ever Turnip 'n' Tater 'n' Beetroot Pie?"  So cute.

Steve and the children finished The Magicians Nephew (208 pages) and The Horse and His Boy (240 pages), C.S. Lewis.  Of course, they loved them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment